Keep these five tips in mind when it comes to managing your blood pressure, and always consult your doctor.
Here are some of the key lifestyle choices that contribute to healthy blood pressure:
- Maintaining a healthy weight with a body mass index, or BMI, between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Eating healthier with a diet of fruits, veggies, low-fat diary, and less saturated and trans fats.
- Reducing sodium intake. Stay under 1500 mg a day, if possible.
- Engaging in 90 to 150 minutes of aerobic and/or dynamic resistance exercise per week and/or three sessions of isometric resistance exercises per week.
- Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting an exercise program.
- Limiting alcohol consumption. Drink no more than 1 to 2 drinks a day.
4. Check your blood pressure often and come to learn what is normal for you, and when it begins to rise or lower
5. Remember to take your medications exactly as prescribed.